Re: what text is being sent to researchers re: OSS assignments?

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Coffin, Chris <ccoffin@mitre.org> wrote:

Ø  DWF CNA's MUST declare what they cover when they register.

My thought when we discussed this was that a granular list of covered products from a vendor/maintainer would be the exception and not the norm. In other words, most vendors would cover all of their products. I think we talked about Google, Apache, and one other if I recall correctly.

The common case for open source is one project, one software package, very few projects have more than one major thing (Apache/Google/OpenStack being notable exceptions).

IMO… if the vendor wishes to only cover a subset of their products, the burden should be on them to keep the CVE program updated on what that subset of products is. We may even want them to provide the “Not covered” list since it would make it easier to quickly identify when another CNA should intervene and provide coverage. This latter list would be useful for steps 1 and 2 listed by Kurt, i.e., if the product was from Vendor X and is not in either list, check with Vendor X for clarification as it could be a new product or something they missed.

Yup, it will be encouraged but not required, we can just be interrupt driven and keep it up to date as needed.

Chris