Re: Notice of Pilot Activity in CVE Auto WG

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Art Manion <amanion@cert.org> wrote:
On 5/9/17 3:02 PM, Kurt Seifried wrote:

> So I assumed we'd have a publishing model where CNA's just publish to
> their parent until it hits MITRE.

I'd suggest a model where every CNA publishes, in at least the CVE MVP
format (but more is OK, such as DWF requirements).  I guess this is pull
not push?  Parent CNAs would be required to pull/aggregate from their
children.

To be clear when we talk about publishing there are two very different aspects of this:

1) publishing the CVE publicly (e.g. in a security advisory)
2) publishing the CVE so that it somehow ends up in the MITRE database

and I was talking about #2 only. As for #1 I don't care really (e.g. they may simply use the CVE # in a commit/issue tracker and not have an advisory per se, but as long as they publish the CVE to their parent and ultimately to MITRE who cares). I don't want to start dictacting security process/etc to anyone using CVE (e.g. can MUST they publish the minimum CVE format in either the CSV or JSON format? what if that data is in their advisory format, which is a PDF?).

This way, anybody can pull from any CNA, MITRE or NVD can pull from
all/lots of CNAs.  This allows a lot more flexibility in aggregation,
possibly at the cost of more effort for a central aggregator (MITRE).

I think a central aggregation model is the only way to go. Or else we admit we're giving up on MITRE having a full view of the database. Note: blockchain would solve a pile of these problems... just saying =).

I think Atom/PubSub is more than this, but I haven't read up on it.

 - Art

--
Kurt Seifried
kurt@seifried.org