RE: Juniper to be added to the official list of CNAs

Brian -

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.  The CVE Team will continue to
post under the name CVE Team.  Where specific points of contact are
necessary, the members of the Board will be provided those.  I am the
MITRE CVE Project Lead, having assumed this role at the beginning of
the year.  If accountability is the concern, my contact information is
below.  I'm happy to field any questions, concerns and comments anyone
may have on behalf of the CVE Team.

Your opinion regarding what should be posted to public versus private
lists is valid, but there are others who may have different opinions
that are equally valid.  Since all Board members are equal and entitled
to their own opinions, all opinions must be considered.  For example,
the note to the private Board list yesterday regarding Juniper was
intended to provide all Board members with an opportunity to privately
voice opinions in a candid fashion that they may have been
uncomfortable voicing in public.  In this context, it is the person who
posts the opinion who is best able to determine whether they want their
opinion posted publicly, and is not up to anyone but them to make that
decision if the original intent of a private list is to be honored.
Using the private list does not preclude in any way public discussions,
and in many ways can accelerate the tempo and quality of such
discussions.  As we collectively rework the roles and interactions of
CNAs and the broader issue set around the CVE capability, there will
likely be occasions where private discussions are required to better
serve what is discussed publicly.

We understand and appreciate your objections to Juniper.  Juniper is
not being rewarded for anything.  Rather, they are being brought online
as a new CNA so that we can expand the CVE capability consistent with
the stated objective of our Board colleagues to scale the capability
under a federated approach to increase coverage.  We were delighted to
hear Juniper's enthusiasm to be active, flexible participants in
charting the way forward.  They are best positioned to do this as a
CNA, as is Intel.  It gives them a real stake in the outcomes we
collectively wish to achieve.  This is the CVE Team's opinion that we
look forward to discussing with our Board colleagues.  More broadly,
the CVE Team understands the issues with CNAs; such issues have not
been ignored and our goal is to actively address them with the Board.
In the past, the CVE Team has not effectively communicated with the
Board in terms of frequency, content and follow-through.  We
acknowledge this, apologize for it, and intend to make this right going
forward.  We voiced this at the 30 March discussion and look forward to
the Board call tomorrow to continue the positive trajectory in dealing
with the dozens of issues that will arise as we collectively work to
scale the capability.  We have adopted the "fail fast" mentality.  That
mentality applies to more than just the DWF pilot.

I am unsure what "fruity integration" means in the context of GitHub.
We committed to the Board to get our documents up on GitHub at the 30
March discussion.  That is done.  We use the site for other non-CVE
projects and have had good experience with it.  We use github.io as a
simple way to present the mark down expressed documentation.  Is there
a specific issue that underpins "fruity integration" that you are able
to make us aware of? If you prefer not to work within the github.io
presentation layer, you may access the documents in the "cna" and
"content" directories at: https://github.com/CVEProject/docs.

The CVE Team is receptive to any means the Board determines is
appropriate for effective collaboration.  At the 30 March meeting,
GitHub was suggested and we agreed.  We are entirely open to other
suggestions and have some of our own.  For example, Google Docs may be
a good place to develop first version documents prior to releasing them
on GitHub for public review and comment as this allows a smaller group
of very knowledgeable experts to establish something that makes sense
based on our collective experience, thereby minimizing the transaction
costs when we engage the public.  In certain cases, this may be an
appropriate approach while in others it may not be.  The Board is best
suited to decide these matters on a case-by-case basis.

The CVE Team has the following objectives:  1) effectively communicate
with CVE stakeholders; 2) improve operational efficiency; and 3) scale
the CVE capability.  All of our team members believe in and are
accountable for achieving these objectives, which were established in
February 2016.  We fully understand that the answers to many of the
issues that must be addressed are not resident within our knowledge
base.  We reached out to the Board to schedule the 30 March meeting and
greatly appreciate their willingness to meet every two weeks on an
ongoing basis to better identify issues, structure the decisions
required to resolve the issues, and make concrete decisions to move the
capability forward.

Regards

The CVE Team
Chris Levendis
MITRE
Homeland Security Systems Engineering and
Development Institute (HS SEDI)
(MITRE) 703-983-2801
(Cell)    703-298-8593
clevendis@mitre.org