Re: procedure for penalizing or revoking CNA status?

CERT/CC has experienced at least one, possibly two CNAs that do not
assign CVE IDs in a timely or correct manner, per the CVE content
decision/abstraction rules.  We see this when:

1. Researchers ask us for CVE IDs and say that the CNA who should be
assigning -- the vendor of the vulnerable component -- has not assigned
an ID.

2. We're coordinating a disclosure that isn't public yet and the CNA who
should be assigning (vendor) doesn't take action.  Now what?  Do we
assign?  Let disclosure happen and ping MITRE?  We make a judgement call
for each case, and I have informed MITRE about one CNA that we've
observed problems with.

I don't know how much of the board bylaws are written down anywhere, but
maybe we should consider some basic governance/voting procedures.  Even
if we don't right away agree on everything that goes in to decisions to
add/remove CNAs, we could have a procedure along the lines of:

* period of time to present evidence (in support of adding or removing)

* vote by the board, requiring a quorum and majority (or more, 2/3
majority?)

Document the evidence and vote on the mailing list.  Also, it's common
for group members to lose voting privileges (or even membership) due to
lack of participation.

I realize adding more formal rules/bylaws increases the governance
overhead, but it may be necessary to move that direction.  A couple
documents about board membership were circulated in April.  Would an
active board member volunteer to draft something about CNA requirements?

Regards,

 - Art

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: September 14, 2015