RE: CVE ID Syntax change - Round two vote results and comments

I think Bill’s second vote should be considered valid.  Ideally, procedures for handling such situations should be documented before voting.

“Would a more complete discussion of issuance strategies prior to the voting period have affected the way you voted?”

No.  A more comprehensive discussion and review of the reasons people gave for voting in the 1st and 2nd rounds though likely would change my vote.

Most important is the question of whether you would have voted differently if Option A was 7 digits, specifically, or if you would have voted differently given some other number of fixed digits in the ID field you would have deemed desirable.

I *might* have voted differently if the length was 7 digits (although I think this is an excessive length).  I definitely would vote differently *now* if the length was 6 digits.  My change, from previous votes *for* the variable length option, is due in large part to review of the all of the excellent reasons other board members have given when submitting their votes during the 2 rounds of voting.

I think 6 digits is ideal.

Consider:  If we had held a vote simply for Fixed Length (including all fixed length proposals … 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) vs. Variable Length (exactly as described in the two rounds of voting), Fixed Length would likely win, and then we would have a second vote to determine the number of digits in the Fixed Length.

Thanks and regards,
Ken Williams, Director

CA Technologies Product Vulnerability Response Team
CA Technologies Business Unit Operations

wilja22@ca.com - 816-914-4225