Re: [CVEPRI] Handling new vulnerabilities discovered by Steve Christey

Even if for the majority of people, trusting Steve is not an issue, I take his message as meaning that he is concerned about the few that might have reservations.

	I have been working on making a cooperative vulnerability database accessible over the web (OpenBSD, SSL, dedicated server with no other services).  It provides a timestamped submission process -- equivalent functionality to publishing the hash as Adam suggested.  The advantage is that it uses most of Krsul's classifiers and the submission (should) provides an analysis of the vulnerability (for QA, the submission can be rejected or accepted by n reviewers, n=3 in the prototype).  This information could be available for subsequent voting by the CVE board.

	Going out on a limb, It might be possible for the board to vote and accept the vulnerability while the vendor is working on a fix.  The result would be a concurrent release of the patch and CVE entry.  I wonder if people would be willing to give the CVE board the same benefit as the vendor, i.e., advance notice?  I could have a copy of this system dedicated for use by the CVE board (note that this is not designed to, intended to, and cannot replace the excellent voting pages that MITRE made -- the intent is just to provide additional information).  Would this be useful?

Pascal