RE: CyberCrime Treaty Statement - draft text

A few proposed changes I want to comment on:

*CHANGE* [I'd like to make a statement here
> that black-hat/gray hat tools often represent innovative research
> and/or are the only detailed sources of information that enable us to
> build white hat tools.  This would further highlight the murkiness
> between the white hat and black hat worlds.] *END*

This may be true, but murky isn't going to fly in the current political
atmosphere. We may all realize the realities of this situation, but any
statement on our part that appears to be sympathetic to the black hats is
going to have a negative impact on acceptance.  IF you're going to go into
that at all, be aware that the outside world does NOT understand
black/grey/white hat.  I used those terms in a presentation and got back a
comment that implied I was being racist. I would avoid this whole area,
since we don't need it to make our point.  The point we want to make is that
we're the good guys, and we need these tools to keep your computers safe.

> *CHANGE* [Perhaps we should suggest that exploits/etc. should only
> contain the minimal amount of coding to reliably demonstrate the
> problem, while minimizing the amount of damage that could be done to
> the system; this could omit most truly malicious code (except for
> certain blue-screen-of-death DoSes), but it could stifle "aggressive"
> probes made by legitimate tool developers.  This approach would also
> go against the "punish-the-hackers-not-the-tools" opinion.] *END*

I would also avoid this, as the treaty is about making laws, not guidelines
for people writing scanners.