RE: On the topic of MITRE/Board transparency

On Thu, 11 May 2017, Williams, Ken wrote:

Ken,

: 1) Why was the board never notified directly by Mitre?  That letter
is
: from March 31.

And specifically, I told MITRE I expected this to be brought to the
board
in off-list mail. They opted not to saying I could "forward the mail"
for
"discussion", despite very explicitly asking MITRE for an official
statement... not discussion. I gave them weeks to do so, they did not.

: 5) Brian, can you provide the name of the CNA who brought this to
your
: attention, and the circumstances?

Other than what I said, I cannot.

^ That is for you Ken. Everything below is additional thoughts in the
bigger picture, and primarily for MITRE.

--

I think I have made it pretty clear, and I know MITRE will not admit
it...
but the amount of time I spend working with CNAs on assignments is
draining. For years now, I have essentially audited CVE and CNAs on
their
assignments. Part of my daily responsibilities, along with others on
list
that do the same, is to ensure "100% compliance with CVE". We're the
first
tier "stakeholders", as we re-distribute to organizations that rely on
vulnerability intelligence. Complaince requirements demand that they
keep
up with CVE, they pay real money to get real vuln intel from other
solutions. Some CNAs ask me directly about abstraction before they
release
their advisories. Some engage with me extensively after the fact when I
point out a possible discrepancy. They are eager to figure out if the
assignment was incorrect (e.g. out of their pervue, duplicate,
abstraction
rules, etc.)

I have a good working relationship with many CNAs, and a good but weird
relationship with teams at the CNA parent company, that aren't involved
in
the CNA process. While weird, it is beneficial to them, to me, and the
industry. After almost a decade of butting heads with oracle, Bruce and
have had a long thread of mails about CVE, assignments, abstraction,
and
more. Through this, I have learned that Bruce has been fighting uphill
battles within his organization that none of us knew about, but once he
won them? They were instantly noticeable. Within 24 hours of him
effecting
policy change within his org, related to CVE, many of us noticed it. I
emailed him and pointed it out, thanked him for the change. That is
when
he told me, in a vague fashion, how much work it took to effect that
change.

For the Board's information, because this has been going on for half a
year in offlist mails. While I have been questioning some of the new
CNAs,
given their history of horrible disclosures, I keep reminding MITRE
that I
work for a company that discloses more vulnerabilities than many CNAs.
Especially some of the newer ones. I keep telling them that while I
*personally* don't care about being a CNA, because MITRE has made it
clear
that is a losing proposition, that if MITRE approaches my day job with
that idea that we would accept. In six+ months, they have onboarded
have a
dozen new CNAs that collectively put out as many vulns a year as my day
job. MITRE has told me they contacted one person in my day job org, who
has nothing to do with security, disclosures, advisories, security
response, etc etc. I have told them exactly what email address to email
make it happen, since the person that answers will have the ability say
"yes" and knows more about CNAs than some of the current MITRE
employees.
Oh... this is the same company that had to wait 113 days for MITRE to
reply to an assignment request, and eventually said "we won't assign,
there might be a duplicate", without asking them for additional
information. The same party that points out duplicate CVE assignments
almost weekly.

So yeah... still waiting.

It's very difficult to believe that MITRE is operating in the
industry's
best interest. Since the letter from Congress, MITRE has made some very
drastic changes in the CVE program. We get a lot more volume!! But we
also
see a serious drop in quality, more duplicates, arbitrary decisions
that
will technically boost their yearly count by 3,000+. (Oh what, didn't
consider how that decision would influence stats, they can push to
congress?)

The recent questions about standards in publishing around "undefined
behavior" is the tip of the iceberg. I haven't sent mails with dozens
of
examples of MITRE blindly assigning for very clear-cut "self hack"
situations that have ZERO security impact. They don't take any
analysis,
no ASAN, no fuzzing, nothing more than reading the description and
laughing at how absurd the exploit conditions are.

If you doubt me? Please hit "compse" in your email client, and send me
an
email with 8000 characters, where every fifth character is replaced by
the
word "chinchilla", and every tenth character is replaced by the word
"mitrelolololol".

If you feel that is a realistic 'exploit scenario', then I am clearly
wrong and we should keep seeing CVE IDs for these crap disclosures.
It's
2017... I think I mentioned that? VDBs should be a lot more mature and
either not include it, or if they do, tech note the crap out of it so
"stakeholders" understand it really isn't an issue.

The last year is nothing but MITRE floundering, looking for stop-gap
measures to artificially inflate their numbers and put forth this crazy
idea that they really do care. Your effort is showing. How about you
stop
trying so hard to hit the lever for a pellet, in the form of your next
yearly $3mil paycheck, and you work on improving the offering giving
your
more than abundant resources?

Like I told congress via back-channels a few weeks ago... others do
almost
twice your volume, with much higher quality, for half your price. And
they
are smart enough not to bid on the contract should it get yanked from
MITRE and re-classified from 'sole source / no-bid'.

.b