Re: CVE for hosted services

Hi,

I've been thinking a lot lately about taxonomies of attacks for a
project which is only tangentially related to CVE, and so if this
email is randomizing, I apologize.

When we created CVE, we spent a lot of time talking about fingerd.
(As I recall, that's why CVD[atabase] became CVE).  Dave Mann has
talked a lot about the example of a museum exhibit, and how its
creators benefited from being able to point at the birds.  I would
encourage you to create a zoo: a collection of issues about which you
can productively debate, and see if, with those issues collected,
you can find commonalities, such as the one Tom suggests below.

Best,

Adam

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 11:52:02PM +0000, Millar, Thomas wrote:
| I think this (using a discrete, specific block for vulns in services)
is a
| serviceable middle ground, perhaps.
|
| I do think a clear distinction should be made for CVEs that can't be
dealt with
| except by the service provider, basically, probably because I've been
talking
| to too many people for whom CVEs = audit findings.
|

| Tom Millar, US-CERT
|
| Sent from +1-202-631-1915
| https://www.us-cert.gov

Williams, Ken