RE: CVE for hosted services

The CVE Team has discussed the inclusion of hosted service
vulnerabilities within the CVE program on multiple occasions in the
past. However, a decision was never made on how to proceed. The CVE
Board call on Feb 22 included a very informative and useful discussion
regarding this topic, and we feel this topic needs to move forward.
Based on Harold's valid use case, input from other Board members, and
the fact that more and more software is being offered via hosted
services, the CVE Team believes that these vulnerabilities should be
assigned CVE IDs and we have no objections in supporting these under
the CVE program.

We believe that there are still decisions to be made on what kinds of
use cases should be supported, but these can continue to be identified
and discussed on the CVE Board list. Once we have agreement on a valid
set of use cases, the CVE Team and Board can decide on any needed rules
and guidelines. At that point, we believe that the best option would be
to pilot the idea through one or more of our existing CNAs who also
maintain hosted services. If anyone has any additional suggestions or
comments on a way forward then please offer them up.

To answer the specific questions regarding the determination of risk
based on CVE, we agree with Art that CVE is the first step in the
process and should only be responsible for starting the conversation
(i.e., naming the thing). Other organizations can add additional value
on top of this, such as risk scores, mitigations, etc.

Regards,

The CVE Team