Re: CVE program priorities

Art,
	I understand the point about how the premature discussion of solutions
- with an intent to implement - can preclude or obscure a
better-inspired perspective.  However, I find that a comment in the link
you provided, by " Comment author: Eddieosh " about TRIZ resonates with
me.  I believe it would be productive and useful to "write the solutions
down (rather than be diverted by them or try to bat them away), use them
to help examine the problem a bit more and then carry on until you have
enough information to make useful judgments about all the solutions
you've generated".

I also want to suggest that more than one iteration of "use cases,
problems, solutions" may be necessary.  The CVE seems like it is needed
for many different processes that different people are trying to get
done, however in somewhat different ways and with different
requirements.  Those are your use cases.  How can we know if all use
cases have been captured, and captured correctly?  In effect we're
trying to build a conceptual model of systems of processes.  Comparing
that model to reality is a crucial step.  I submit that the activity of
discussing and criticizing potential solutions contributes to building
conceptual models and validating them. This can create corrections to
use cases or the identification of new ones, or a change in the
perception of problems.  Certainly the order you are proposing, "use
cases, problems, solutions", is logical and should determine the final
justification for actions.  However, in arriving to the correct and
complete (to the best of our abilities) list of use cases, problems, and
solutions, I believe that an iterative process or loops may be beneficial.

I'm glad you mentioned "work leading up to the meeting".  I think there
hasn't been enough for a meeting to produce a list of actionable
recommendations or resolutions.  Deciding on a date and duration seems
premature when so little of this work has been done, unless having a
deadline is a necessary motivating factor.

Pascal

On 01/29/2016 04:46 PM, Art Manion wrote:
> On 2015-12-29 14:56, Art Manion wrote:
>> I'd like to suggest a step back (or possibly up) and ask if the Board
>> (and other interested parties?) would be willing to focus first on
>> problems/issues with CVE before getting into solutions.
>>
>>    "Do not propose solutions until the problem has been discussed as
>> thoroughly as possible without suggesting any."
>>
>>    http://lesswrong.com/lw/ka/hold_off_on_proposing_solutions/
>
> Having given it some more thought, and with some hope that we'll convene
> an in-person meeting, I'd like to step back even further to what I'll
> call use cases.
>
> What is CVE used for, by whom, and how?
>
> There is more than one answer, there is probably a "when" aspect too
> (use cases change over time), and we may not know all the use cases or
> be able to predict future ones.  Nonetheless, having some idea (and
> agreement) on what CVE is for makes the discussion about problems
> actually meaningful.  To have a problem, there is a (possibly assumed)
> use that isn't being met.
>
> So use cases, problems, solutions is the order I'm proposing, and this
> should frame our in-person meeting, and even work leading up to the meeting.
>
> Regards,
>
>   - Art
>
> PS, if you think I'm a process nut, I'm really not.  But I've seen
> enough complicated, multi-party discussions to know that without some
> process/framing, we're all spinning our wheels.

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: February 01, 2016