RE: Sources: Full and Partial Coverage

Let me just add a comment from a vendor who has been doing this work for a long time.
Our customers don't think about sources of intelligence, they think about coverage for a particular application or platform; Our researchers are the ones that think in terms of vulnerability disclosure sources and threat intelligence.

Back to the customer perspective for a second, without even thinking that much, I can tell you the top X and I will rattle off this:
*	Microsoft
*	Adobe Reader / Acrobat
*	Mozilla Firefox
*	RHEL
*	Solaris
*	Quicktime
*	Safari
*	Java
*	SuSE
*	CentOS
*	Oracle RDBS
*	Cisco IOS & ASA
*	JunOS
While I may have missed some, I can tell you this is the conversations I have with customers who use our products to find vulnerabilities.

When I speak to researchers about this, it is a different conversation because 1) the conversation has already be scoped to bias toward these sets and 2) the question then becomes which sources of intelligence about these platforms serve the researcher best when trying to be accurate and complete.

--tk

--
Tim "TK" Keanini, CTO    ...    nCircle Inc.   ...   mbl (415) 328-2722  ...