RE: What is the future of CVE - Scope, Volume & Quality?

Folks,

Mark and Kent have both raised interesting questions, which I'll try to address briefly below. But the primary point of this note is to drive focus of the discussion to the twin questions of scope of information sources and vendor/product coverage.  We really believe that before any other issue can be addressed adequately, the Editorial Board needs to come to agreement on these 2 questions.

First, let me attempt to address the 2 interesting issues in the hopes of quickly setting them aside.

RESOURCES
==========
>It seems to me that the resource issue is a problem at the moment; for
>example we are building up a steady backlog of CNA allocated issues that
>are not yet in CVE (over 300 issues).  Are there ways you can add staff
>to deal with specific tasks without increasing the chance of CVE
>duplications?

Our experience with the Common Malware Enumeration suggests that it is possible for a space to simply become overwhelmed by any enumerative approach.   We are also very aware that the law of diminishing returns kicks in rather severely.  Covering the most important information sources for the most important products is one thing.  Covering everything is another.  For this reason, it is absolutely essential that we come to agreement on what the "must haves" are and what can be considered "nice-to-have" in terms of sources and products covered.

Let me put this another way...  There is no rational way to say that CVE's resourcing level is too low or too high unless we can compare CVE's performance to an agreed upon set of "must have" goals in terms of information sources and products covered.  Mark, your example of CNA allocated issues is a good illustration.  Are all CNA allocated issues "must haves"?  Unless we can answer that question, we can't address resourcing.

ANALYSIS PROCESS
=================
Kent wrote:
>The problem is what is the future of CVE from a maturation
>perspective? How do we mature the effort so that we can put in place a
>useful vulnerability identification and analysis capability that will survive and
>continue to be a valuable resource for the next couple decades?  Key word
>here is analysis.  The analytic aspects is an important aspect of what CVE
>provides today.  It cannot be watered down becoming nothing more than a
>simple reporting mechanism for vendor related disclosures.

We've been looking at the CVE project as an analytical capability for the past 4 years or so.  Sure did take us a while!    It turns out that a) MITRE has a lot experience in studying analysis processes and in creating tools to support analytical capabilities and b) the CVE team has several engagements with folks who do that sort of work with an eye on maturing the CVE analytical processes.   Not surprisingly, different "must-haves" lead to different processes.  In fact, the 4 questions we posed grew directly out of our internal work on analysis process review.

Let me emphasize that we agree with both questions.  Resource discussions and analytical process are critical things for us to discuss as we consider CVE's future.

But until we can agree on the must haves, we can't make progress on those fronts.

We strongly suggest these are the 2 most important first questions:

1. Sources
  a. Which sources of vulnerability disclosures should be considered
    "must haves" for which we provide "reference complete" coverage?
  b. Which sources should be considered "nice-to-haves"?
  c. Which sources should be considered "can be safely ignored"
    (e.g. they just cause noise)?

2. Coverage
  a. Which vendors and software products should we consider "must haves"
     in that we will provide coverage for all reliable vulnerability
     reports for them?
  b. Which products or vendors should be considered "nice-to-haves"?
  c. Which ones should be considered "can be safely ignored" (e.g. php.golf)?

-Dave
David Mann | Principal Infosec Scientist | The MITRE Corporation
e-mail:damann@mitre.org | cell:781.424.6003