Re: [PROPOSAL] Cluster RECENT-30 - 17 candidates

* Steven M. Christey (coley@LINUS.MITRE.ORG) [000803 02:59]:
> [...]
> image containing a comment with an illegal field length of 1.
>

> ED_PRI CAN-2000-0655 1
>

> VOTE: ACCEPT
>
> =================================
> Candidate: CAN-2000-0663
> Published:
> Final-Decision:
> Interim-Decision:
> Modified:
> Proposed: 20000803
> Assigned: 20000802
> Category: SF
> Reference: MS:MS00-052
> Reference: URL:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS00-052.asp
> Reference: MSKB:Q269049
> Reference: URL:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/kb.asp?ID=269049
> Reference: BID:1507
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1507
>
> The registry entry for the Windows Shell executable (Explorer.exe) in
> Windows NT and Windows 2000 uses a relative path name, which allows
> local users to execute arbitrary commands by inserting a Trojan Horse
> named Explorer.exe into the %Systemdrive% directory, aka the "Relative
> Shell Path" vulnerability.
>

> ED_PRI CAN-2000-0663 1
>

> VOTE: ACCEPT
>
> =================================
> Candidate: CAN-2000-0668
> Published:
> Final-Decision:
> Interim-Decision:
> Modified:
> Proposed: 20000803
> Assigned: 20000802
> Category: SF
> Reference: REDHAT:RHSA-2000:044-02
> Reference: URL:http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2000-044-02.html
> Reference: BID:1513
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1513
>
> pam_console PAM module in Linux systems allows a user to access the
> system console and reboot the system when a display manager such as
> gdm or kdm has XDMCP enabled.
>

> ED_PRI CAN-2000-0668 1
>

> VOTE: ACCEPT
>
> =================================
> Candidate: CAN-2000-0673
> Published:
> Final-Decision:
> Interim-Decision:
> Modified:
> Proposed: 20000803
> Assigned: 20000802
> Category: SF
> Reference: NAI:20000727 Windows NetBIOS Name Conflicts
> Reference: MS:MS00-047
> Reference: URL:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS00-047.asp
> Reference: BID:1514
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1514
> Reference: BID:1515
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1515
>
> The NetBIOS Name Server (NBNS) protocol does not perform
> authentication, which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of
> service by sending a spoofed Name Conflict or Name Release datagram,
> aka the "NetBIOS Name Server Protocol Spoofing" vulnerability.

It seems you are conbining these two problems because they have the
same root problem: that NetBIOS trusts everyone and its not authenticated.
But if that is your reasoning then you can classify this as a software
fault (SF), it should be a design flaw.

> =================================
> Candidate: CAN-2000-0664
> Published:
> Final-Decision:
> Interim-Decision:
> Modified:
> Proposed: 20000803
> Assigned: 20000802
> Category: SF
> Reference: BUGTRAQ:20000726 AnalogX "SimpleServer:WWW" dot dot bug
> Reference: URL:http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2000-07/0374.html
> Reference: CONFIRM:http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/sswww.htm
> Reference: BID:1508
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1508
>
> AnalogX SimpleServer:WWW 1.06 and earlier allows remote attackers to read
> arbitrary files via a modified .. (dot dot) attack that uses the %2E
> URL encoding for the dots.
>

> ED_PRI CAN-2000-0664 2
>

> VOTE: ACCEPT
>
> =================================
> Candidate: CAN-2000-0671
> Published:
> Final-Decision:
> Interim-Decision:
> Modified:
> Proposed: 20000803
> Assigned: 20000802
> Category: SF
> Reference: BUGTRAQ:20000721 Roxen security alert: Problems with URLs containing null characters.
> Reference: URL:http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2000-07/0321.html
> Reference: BUGTRAQ:20000721 Roxen Web Server Vulnerability
> Reference: URL:http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2000-07/0307.html
> Reference: BID:1510
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1510
>
> Roxen web server earlier than 2.0.69 allows allows remote attackers to
> list directory contents and read source code by appending a null
> character (%00) to the URL.
>

> ED_PRI CAN-2000-0671 2
>

> VOTE: MODIFY

There really is more to this problem than simply being able to
list the contents of a directory. Roxen uses Pike. Pike can handle
strings with nulls in them, but the underlying OS truncates the
string at the first null. Thus Roxen and the OS do not agree on
what file the string really points to. On symptom is being able
to list a directory. More dangerous is being able to bypass
access restrictions by sending a query that passes the web server's
ACLs but is valid to the underlying OS. You could also use it
to download the source code to scripts by sending a request that
the web server will not think is a file type that should be parsed
or executed but that will make the underlying OS open the script for
reading.

--
Elias Levy
SecurityFocus.com