Re: assignments for malware

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018, Kurt Seifried wrote:

: A backdoor is a vulnerability. I think the problem is CVE in past
dealt
: with "oops we make a mistake" and not "oops, a malicious actor did it
on
: purpose".
:
: Doesn't matter to the end user, well actually it does, backdoors are
: worse because someone for sure knows about the vulnerability and most
: likely intended to use it. So do these things need CVEs, tracking and
: remediation for people affected by it? Yes.
:
: I'm trying to imagine a scenario where a software or service user
goes
: "oh, this exploitable flaw is a backdoor, thus no CVE, thus we don't
: need to remediate it" and uhh.. I can't imagine that, not even close.

Granted. But a malicious module that has a similar name as another
isn't a
backdoor.

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: August 13, 2018