RE: Problematic assignments for subpar reports via CVE request form

Carsten,

In answer specifically to the CVE IDs assigned by the MITRE CNA for Lin Wang, the rationale for a CVE ID assignment often depends on non-public information. It could be, but isn't always, a non-public PoC. There have also been cases where we have requested that Lin provide justification for his vulnerabilities. In each case he has provided the justification required. Whether or not Lin makes this additional information public would be up to him. Maybe we can nudge Lin to provide more of this information (including PoCs) in the future once the vulnerability has been fixed by the vendor.

The CVE team has been able to pick out the following list of separate issues and questions in this thread. It might help if we separate and discuss them individually.

  1. Should we ban requesters when they have repeatedly provided questionable vulnerability details when requesting a CVE ID?
    1. MITRE will work with the Board to decide on a path forward here. One concern here is that banning a requester completely might send a negative message to the community in general and might be something we should avoid.
    2. Do other Board members feel that banning requesters is ever appropriate, or should we just put more pressure on them to justify their work when these cases crop up?
  2. How should we handle researchers like Lin Wang in the future?
    1. A better path forward might be to do as suggested and flag the requester for use in future requests. Maybe we could develop some simple process for CNAs around what additional information or details might be requested in these cases. If the requester is flagged, a CNA such as MITRE could treat the request slightly different and request additional information such as a PoC. This would likely cause extra work on the part of the CNA, but the assumption is that this case would not be the norm and wouldn’t happen often. In addition to the process, we’d have to define the parameters for when to flag a requester, and what would be required from them to get the flag removed.
    2. Do other folks have suggestions for what might be required of the requester in these cases?
  3. MITRE's inclusion criteria for what is a vulnerability.
    1. MITRE currently uses CNT2.2A as part of the criterion to decide if something is a vulnerability.  When the rule was proposed, there was discussion around issues such as this where a researcher was claiming a vulnerability that might be received as questionable by others. The consensus was that these assignments would be acceptable so long as remediation steps were available to dispute and reject.  If the Board no longer feels CNT2.2A is a valid criteria for deciding if something is a vulnerability, then a discussion may be needed in regards to using only CNT2.2B.
  4. The community does not seem incentivized to dispute CVE assignments
    1. As mentioned above, the use of CNT2.2A seemed acceptable so long as the dispute/reject processes worked.  However, as Carsten demonstrates, those who do the research that could be used to dispute or reject a CVE aren't incentivized to provide that information to CVE. Does this change how Board members feel about CNT2.2A?
  5. Preventing duplicates
    1. The comments about duplicates largely relate to some deficits that existed in CNT1 (Independently fixable). In particular, CNT1 did not provide guidance on how to handle situations where there is some evidence that two issues are the same vulnerability, but you are not certain. MITRE's policy in these cases was to follow the groupings the requester used when making the request. However, in the most recent rules revision, we proposed a change to CNT1 in which the issues would be merged into a single CVE ID if there is uncertainty on whether they are duplicates.  The change was approved and MITRE will be following it going forward.  The new rules should stop these types of possibly duplicate assignments from being made in the future. This issue partially explains why CVE-2017-15773 and CVE-2017-15738 are separate.
  6. How much certainty is required before making a decision on assigning a CVE ID?
    1. Taking a step back, much of this discussion circles around the degree of certainty needed to assign a CVE ID. How is this certainty obtained and what is the cost of obtaining the certainty? Is it worth the results?
    2. Carsten: What process did you use to determine that CVE-2017-15738 and CVE-2017-15773 were duplicates? How long did it take?

Regards,

Chris and the CVE Team