Re: CVEs for malicious software in PYPI

Question to clarify:

Software package A.

Researcher finds Software package A has a backdoor ("root"/"password") that was in dev but slipped through to a production version.

If the above were a programming error they would get a CVE right?

If they are deliberately introduced by the programmer, still gets a CVE right?

But if a bad guy hijacks the package and inserts the above code, that doesn't get a CVE?

To me a security vulnerability worthy of a CVE in software is  a security vulnerability worthy of a CVE in software, I don't care about intent (well in so much as I'd like to avoid shipping code from malicious upstreams, or projects that get compromised/etc.).