Re: Required information for CVE entry submissions

Thanks Beverly that helps but I'm still having problems with these
proposals.  If you don't provide all these details ahead of your
disclosure then you are open to having CVE IDs in use at large while
the CVE record is unavailable.  This shouldn't happen.  It's even
possible for the CVE record to never be available from MITRE as a CNA
is holding on to information because some required bit hasn't been
filled.

i) First problem is latency and the use of CVE IDs in advisories and
publications without the record being available for reference from
MITRE at that time, only some time after the CNA finishes filling in
the fields.  I believe this removes value from CVEs for both users of
CVE information and for publishers of information.

It seems to me that would also put the first people to respond to
advisories or a publication of some sort at a disadvantage, or it might
encourage delayed responses or slow response processes.  These are not
conducive to improved security.

ii) Second problem is enforcement and responsibility.  How is the
requirement enforced, is that by withholding the release of CVE
records?  Who's being punished?  Once someone got a CVE identifier from
a CNA or MITRE and started using it in advisories and publications,
whose responsibility is it to complete the required information, the
CNA (or MITRE if it acted as CNA) or the software developer?  From the
point of view of a software developer, if I need to come back after
having had my identifier and publishing my info, will I bother or will
I have the time?  If not, some may ask why bother with the CVE anyway?
If it is the responsibility of the CNA, how will the CNA notice and act
upon this?  This proposed 2-phase process, due to the requirement for
information only available after publication, is cumbersome.

I propose that IDs should be given out only when the release of the CVE
record can not be blocked or unduly delayed.  It would make most sense
to extract all strictly required information from the requester of a
CVE ID at the time of the request.

The second phase and further updates can greatly improve CVE quality
but requiring too much is conducive to phantom RESERVED records used at
large but not available as proper CVE records.

Pascal

On Wed, 2017-09-20 at 15:36 +0000, Beverly Finch wrote:
> CNA can assign CVE internally and would only submit the required
> information after it's been made public.
> The intention is not to provide all these details ahead of your
> public disclosure.
>

> Regards,
>

> Beverly M Finch, PMP
> PSIRT Program Manager
> Product Security Office
>
> 7001 Development Drive
> Office 3N-C1
> Morrisville, NC  27560
>
> +1 919 294 5873
> beverlyfinch@lenovo.com
>

> Lenovo.com
> Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Blogs | Forums

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: September 21, 2017