Re: CVEs for malicious software in PYPI

There’s a benefit to companies and tools that auto identify installed
packages and report on associated vulnerabilities. These tools don’t
get hung up on misreading a typo.

However, typo squatting is a problem any package management system is
susceptible to. Without a gatekeeper system (gig signing with
verification of authorship), there’s not much the PyPIs of the world
can do. These incidents represent malware/spyware more than a flaw. The
only real flaw would be in the publication process being easily
confounded by social engineering.

I’m not against the assigning of CVE to these, though it’s probably
ideal to count the incident and discoveries as one, i.e. one CVE for
the 10 packages combined.

There quite a history of this behavior by researchers
(http://incolumitas.com/2016/06/08/typosquatting-package-managers/) and
malicious users
(http://blog.npmjs.org/post/163723642530/crossenv-malware-on-the-npm-registry).

--
William Cox
Senior Software Engineer

> On Sep 15, 2017, at 20:53, Kurt Seifried <kurt@seifried.org> wrote:
>
> http://www.nbu.gov.sk/skcsirt-sa-20170909-pypi/index.html
>
> TL;DR: Someone may PYPI packages that were malicious, and typo/close
> names of legit things (e.g. acquisition / acqusition). I'd like to
> assign CVEs to them so they are identified, so two thoughts:
>
> 1) people uploaded code (meant to be malicious or not) to PYPI that
> has flaws, so CVE right
> 2) the typo squatting aspect, should this get a CVE? There is obvious
> intent of shenanigans, but... how do we count it?
>
> --
> Kurt Seifried
> kurt@seifried.org

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: September 18, 2017