RE: An example of hardware/software vulns - GPUs

The most current vulnerability definition would be the following taken
from the CNA Rules Appendix A.

http://cve.mitre.org/cve/cna/CNA_Rules_v1.1.pdf
"A vulnerability in the context of the CVE Program is defined by the
Counting Rules as listed in Appendix C. In general, a vulnerability is
defined as a weakness in the computational logic (e.g., code) found in
software and hardware components that, when exploited, results in a
negative impact to confidentiality, integrity, OR availability.
Mitigation of the vulnerabilities in this context typically involves
coding changes, but could also include specification changes or even
specification deprecations (e.g., removal of affected protocols or
functionality in their entirety)."

If we decide to move forward, it would appear that this definition
covers us for hardware-specific vulnerabilities. Does anyone think
differently or believe that it needs significant changes?

The counting rules themselves would likely need some tweaks as we refer
to code and software in a few places. For example, CNT2.2A refers to
the above definition and would not need to be changed, but CNT2.2B
states "software" specifically. We also would need to change the
Inclusion decisions to either tweak INC3 in regards to
customer-controlled software, or add a new decision that would be
inclusive of hardware.

Regards,

Chris