Re: CVE Current States

On 2017-06-14 10:25, Coffin, Chris wrote:
> Here is what I think we are driving to in this thread. We can discuss
> more on the call today if needed.

I won't make the call today, here's some input.

1. When we're ready, publicly document states, including a state
transition diagram.  A colleague of mine started one but it's not quite
ready to share.

> STATE:UNASSIGNED: A CVE that has never been RESERVED. The CVE master
> list provides an error message in the case that someone attempts to
> view this CVE ID.
> Example: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=cve-2001-10000
> STATE_DETAIL:N/A (I don't believe it would ever be needed)

This is the default state, correct?  This state should never appear in
a CVE data record?

> STATE:RESERVED: A CVE Identifier (CVE ID) is marked as "RESERVED"
> when it has been reserved for use by a CVE Numbering Authority (CNA)
> or security researcher, but the details of it are not yet populated.
> Example: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2000-1253
> STATE_DETAIL:CNA_ALLOCATED - Provided as part of a block request to a
> CNA
> STATE_DETAIL:ASSIGNED - assigned to a vulnerability

Are these finite state details?  If reserved, must also be
cna_allocated or assigned, state detail can't be empty?

> STATE:REJECT: A CVE ID listed as "REJECT" is a CVE ID that is not
> accepted as a CVE ID. The reason a CVE ID is marked REJECT will most
> often be stated in the description of the CVE ID.
> Example: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-8784
> STATE_DETAIL:DUPLICATE_ASSIGNMENT
> STATE_DETAIL:DUPLICATE_RESERVATION
> STATE_DETAIL:DUPLICATE_TYPO_SEQ_OR_YEAR
> STATE_DETAIL:MIXED_ISSUES_OR_DUAL_USE
> STATE_DETAIL:MERGED
> STATE_DETAIL:WITHDRAWN
> STATE_DETAIL:EXPIRED
> STATE_DESCRIPTION: // probably the only STATE where this is required

Again, is state detail required?

If duplicate or merged, must description note the other IDs involved?

> STATE:POPULATED: The CVE entry has been published with at least a
> minimum amount of detail and at least one public reference.
> Example: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-0002
> STATE_DETAIL:N/A (I don't believe it would ever be needed)

There is currently a PUBLIC state I think.  Is populated replacing
public?

Regards,

 - Art

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: June 14, 2017