RE: Question about robots.txt

Brian,

> That said, after Kurt's mail in December of 2015... in the last ~ 30
> - 60 days, I noticed that MITRE finally changed that. Google is now
> indexing and caching the CVE pages.

We made the change to allow indexing back in Feb of 2016, which was a
few months after Kurt had pointed out the issue. We apologize to all
for not replying to the original thread at that time. Dan also
mentioned the same in a response to you back in April of this year
(http://common-vulnerabilities-and-exposures-cve-board.1128451.n5.nabble.com/Re-CVENEW-New-CVE-CANs-2017-04-23-19-00-count-1-td722.html#a727).

> Just like you didn't ask us about the 3k+ RESERVED fiasco that got
> several of us talking about this morning, figuring out how we'd
> handle it. When NVD spoke up, we all collectively said "hell yeah!"
>
> The fact that NVD called you out, and has since said they will be
> 'ignoring' those IDs, is also very significant in CVE history. This
> is the first *real* break that NVD has had from CVE ever. There have
> been other breaks the last year+, but they were more pedantic and
> favored NVD > over MITRE/CVE, based on the time of entries becoming
> public (e.g. NVD published before MITRE did).

We are not absolutely certain what concern you have in the case of the
RESERVED CVE IDs moving to REJECT status. Please let us know if the
following explanation does not clear up your concerns.

We have had multiple conversations during Board conference calls
regarding the fact that there are many RESERVED CVE IDs within the
current CVE list, and there was a general consensus that they should be
cleaned up (i.e., REJECT or populate). As you are probably aware, there
are multiple reasons that a CVE ID might be stuck in a RESERVED status.
One of those reasons could be that the CNA obtained a block of CVE IDs,
but never actually assigned some of those IDs to vulnerabilities.

As a first step in tackling the larger cleanup effort, we began
contacting CNAs in March of this year to determine what CVE IDs they
had not used from their previously assigned CVE ID blocks. All but a
couple of CNAs responded and pointed out which CVE IDs were not used.
In every case, the CVE ID in question moved from a status of RESERVED
to a status of REJECT. The CVE IDs in question were moved to REJECT
status earlier today.

You are correct and Dave at NIST had sent a message in regards to this
first step and he was not clear on exactly what the end result would
be. Dave and I spoke on the phone, we cleared up the gaps in
understanding, and even decided to hold off for a day to give the NIST
NVD folks a bit more time to analyze the impact.

Dave can correct me if I'm wrong, but we didn't interpret the comment
"ignored by the NVD" to mean that the NVD team would not publish the
REJECT CVE entries. Our interpretation is that the NVD team does not
see a need to analyze the entries and will simply publish them as is,
with no significant effort on their part.

Regards,

Chris Coffin
The CVE Team