From: Coffin, Chris [mailto:ccoffin@mitre.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 5:10 PM
To: Waltermire, David A. (Fed) <david.waltermire@nist.gov>; Booth, Harold (Fed) <harold.booth@nist.gov>; cve-editorial-board-list <cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org>
Cc: cve-board-auto-list <cve-board-auto-list@lists.mitre.org>
Subject: RE: Notice of Pilot Activity in CVE Auto WG

Dave,

Maybe this all just comes down to terminology and intent. Your response focuses on GIT, but I don’t think this is the focus of the pilot at all.

What do we actually mean when we say “pilot” in this case. Harold and George can correct me if I am wrong, but this is really just a test that happens to use GIT. Harold made the statement in the beginning of this thread that “All participants should understand that this is only a pilot and as such there is no guarantee that any eventual solution will look anything like the pilot.” This means that GIT isn’t the chosen solution and shouldn’t be the focus at this point. However, if it works well as an option then maybe we might be open to using it as a part or even a major part of the solution. We won’t know until we give it a try right?

Additionally, the intent of the pilot is to “investigate the requirements surrounding the automation of updating and retrieving the CVE JSON data.” Also stated was ‘We hope to learn not only what features are necessary to support the “plumbing” of sending and receiving the data, but also what attributes and metadata are needed in the CVE format to support automation.’ Are there other alternatives to support this intent, yes. A couple have been raised and I would agree that the Automation WG should investigate those as well. IMO though, I don’t think the WG should wait on identifying those alternatives before trying out the current one.

Last, This approach has already been developed in cooperation with a handful of CNAs as they are on the Automation WG. Based on the language of Harold’s email, the pilot would be limited to those CNAs and would not be broadly applicable to all CNAs. Again, Harold or George can correct me if I am wrong on this.

Chris