Re: HP's policy on CVE assignments

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017, Kurt Seifried wrote:

: What counts as "public"? I would argue releasing updates counts as
public,
: even if they are closed source (and especially if they are open
source). No

Agreed. Over the last ten years, we have seen a big leap in reversing
patches, now to the point where many companies have automated setups to
do
so. They are reliable and can pull out the vulnerable files and
functions,
sometimes more details. As such, I don't see a closed source patch as
being "no public details" in today's age. Simply because technology has
risen to address that specifically.

: CVE's definitely puts customers at risk as they may not be updating
: (things break), and attackers will be able to find these flaws
whether
: or not they have CVEs (using bindiff/etc.).

Agreed. Many organizations update based on the perceived need to, not
just
because "hey look, shiny new version!" As such, not releasing details
in a
changelog or advisory is negligent to some.

.b

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: April 11, 2017