Re: CVE for hosted services

On Fri, 2017-02-24 at 10:36 -0700, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Pascal Meunier
> <pmeunier@cerias.purdue.edu
> > wrote:
>
> > In this case you're talking about incident IDs, not CVE IDs,
> > because the
> > second and third ones could be the same core vulnerability as the
> > first,
> > just badly patched or badly protected.  In addition, two similar
> >

> Not necessarily. They could be completely separate things/services
> (TBH I
> have no idea how cloudflare internally operates, it could be a
> monolithic
> binary for all I know).

The point is we can't know, unless as you suggest further below the
provider actively helps with CVE assignment -- in which case they are
our hmm, proxy, into the problem.  Even better if the reporter and
provider work together, but I don't think we can count on that often.
I'll fall back on the suggestion by someone else (paraphrasing) that the
CVE IDs be given when it makes sense for such cases, without trying to
systematically cover the entire space, making this an "optional scope".
To me it makes sense only when the vulnerability can be identified in
software running somewhere, not just when any security problem has been
found.

> > findings at the same time could actually be different
> > vulnerabilities so
> > you'd need 2 CVEs to do it properly.  Or do we not care anymore, as
> > recall seeing a single CVE for multiple vaguely defined
> > vulnerabilities?
> >
> > For every incident, without visibility inside the remote black box
> > that
> > is providing the service, we have little to no idea which
> > vulnerabilities are involved, and we can't ID them.  We can only ID
> > the
> > findings of problems.  Although giving IDs to incidents and
> > findings is
> > very useful, that's outside the scope of the CVE.  It's like we
> > have a
> > hammer (CVE IDs) and everything looks like the proverbial nail now.
> >

> Ideally the provider would help with CVE assignment (much like
> cloudflare
> wrote a large blog entry) so that it is done correctly. A lot of these
> providers care about being seen as security conscious/responsible,
> it's a
> major competitive edge.
>

> > I suggest the creation of something else to identify incident,
> > report or
> > finding IDs.
> >
> > Pascal
> >

> > On Fri, 2017-02-24 at 10:11 -0700, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> > > For example someone finds another memory disclosure in
> > > CloudFlare, and
> > then
> > > another person finds a third one. Are we talking about A, B or C?
> > > CLoudBleed 1? The thing after CloudBleed? If they had CVE's or an
> > > equivalent identifier it would be much easier. Especially as I
> > > have to
> > now
> > > interact with other vendors (Hey Atlassian, do you deliver JIRA
> > > via
> > > CloudFlare at all and are you affected by CloudBleed?).
> > >
> > > Especially as the data leaked from CloudBleed is now in all sorts
> > > of data
> > > caches around the internet (search providers, maybe archive.org,
> > > etc.),
> > so
> > > we'll need to talk about this off and on for potentially the next
> > > few
> > > years.
> > >
> > > On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 9:03 AM, Millar, Thomas <
> > Thomas.Millar@hq.dhs.gov>

> > Kurt

> > third

> > disclosed is
> > that
> > (e.g.
> > this?
> > problem

> > not

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: February 24, 2017