Re: CNA Rules Announcement

On Sun, 9 Oct 2016, Chandan Nandakumaraiah wrote:

: On 10/9/16 7:13 PM, jericho wrote:
: > If you want to then turnaround and issue one ID for implementation
flaws,
: > when the protocol spec is correct, you aren't being consistent.
:
: It is the flaw that is being assigned an ID.
:
: If the flaw is very specific and unique to the implementations of a
: particular protocol, it should get a single ID, irrespective of the
: affected products or vendors.

You are now equating the two sides of the abstraction debate and aren't
being consistent or clear yourself. "It is the flaw that is being
assigned
an ID" then immediately say "if the flaw is very specific and unique to
the implementations ... it should get a single ID". You can't have it
both
ways.

: >  The important part is to stay consistent in the handling of such
: > issues.
:
: Consistently doing a wrong thing does not make it right.

Re-read my email. I very specifically say that if we change the
standard,
that is fine, but we need to very publicly state that. I am not arguing
stick to the old way, or move to the new way. I am playing both sides
of
the debate because both have merit, and I have said that several times.

: > Again, I see the benefit of each method and unfortunately, the
benefits of
: > each way help different types of InfoSec professionals. If we go
one way,
: > we please academics, (some) VDBs, and (some) auditors. If we go the
other
: > way, we please system admins, (some) VDBs, and (some) auditors.
:
: I have only seen confusion and misunderstandings due to such
fragmented
: IDs. There is always a danger of some valid vulnerability being
ignored
: as a false positive because the MITRE description said something
about
: the CVE being applicable only to a certain vendor's product.

Can you cite a specific example?

And that would not happen if CVE's coverage was better, and addressed
those additional products that were impacted. Either adding them to the
base entry (e.g. if it is a protocol flaw), or abstracting out for
additional vendors if that is the decision.

Ultimately, this boils down to a simple "do we abstract or not"
argument
for CVE, but must consider the coverage argument above. There are
merits
for abstracting, and there are merits for assigning a single CVE. I
know I
don't have a pulse on the entire industry, no one does... but working
for
a vuln scanner company and a commercial VDB, I see at least two big
sides
to his argument. There WILL be confusion, regardless of what side we
pick.
That is the fact. Saying there is confusion is a non sequitur, that
should
be obvious to anyone familiar with this arena, as I outlined both sides
previously.

Brian

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: October 19, 2016