From: Kurt Seifried [mailto:kseifried@redhat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 9:00 PM
To: Millar, Thomas <Thomas.Millar@hq.dhs.gov>
Cc: jericho <jericho@attrition.org>; Booth, Harold (Fed) <harold.booth@nist.gov>; cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org
Subject: Re: Vulnerability Description Ontology

What we currently have (e.g. CVRF) is not only laughably out of date (can we have CVSSv3 please?) but solves a problem that no longer exists (in the sense of the problem has gotten so much worse...). Our current problems are much scarier, and the problems we will have in 5 years ... Yeah. If we don't strongly automate this (like I mentioned int he call we need the low level bits like ASN.1->X.509->HTTPS) we are doomed.

I'll be honest, the whole reason the DWF is moving so slowly is I'm not doing any work on it in order to let it pile up and see what we need to do to automate it and how (now I'm playing catch up on the first bits, and documenting what/how this will all be automated). The problem is we're going to be automating something that heavily involves humans as the source (computers produce nice data, humans produce... stuff =).