Re: definitions for what is CVE worthy with downloads/installs and containers

I have difficulties with some statements:

"If the origin of the CVE ID request seems unrelated to the party that
wrote the code, then (sometimes but not 100% of the time) the CVE ID
request is rejected with a suggestion to consult with the vendor."

It can be very difficult to "consult with the vendor".  It's much, much
easier to just disclose the vulnerability without a CVE.  I'm afraid
that the above policy is a strong incentive against using CVE
identifiers.

Also, I'm confused by the paragraph with the ASUS example as it seems
contradict the preceding one.

Pascal

On 06/07/2016 11:14 PM, Common Vulnerabilities & Exposures wrote:
> Kurt –
>
> As you are well aware, CVE assignment is never an exact science. The
> following is a description of our current practice:
>

> ·         The question of whether it is "software acting exactly as
> it is designed" depends on who sends the CVE ID request. For example,
> it is plausible for a vendor's server to offer the same executable
> code (or update service) through both HTTP and HTTPS, and the URL
> hardcoded into a client-side product was -- by design -- supposed to
> start with https, but it started with http by accident. Thus, if it
> is a vendor-initiated request for a CVE ID to tag a required security
> update for their customers, then the CVE ID request is always
> accepted.
>
> ·         If the origin of the CVE ID request seems unrelated to the
> party that wrote the code, then (sometimes but not 100% of the time)
> the CVE ID request is rejected with a suggestion to consult with the
> vendor.
>
> ·         It would be hard to achieve 100% rejections, even if a CNA
> wanted to, because the person sending the CVE ID request may neglect
> to mention, or may be unwilling to mention, the precise nature of the
> problem. A large fraction of the population believes that it is
> always a vulnerability for any product to continuously make requests
> for executable code over unencrypted HTTP, with no other integrity
> protection, and execute code whenever a response is received. Because
> that much is obvious in their world view, their vulnerability
> description may focus on other details, such as file-format
> manipulation, etc.
>
> ·         Our prevailing opinion is that, for this
> HTTP/executable-code scenario, the best a CNA can do is assign CVE
> IDs in cases where they believe CVE consumers want those IDs to
> exist. If the requester sends a credible description of high
> exploitation likelihood, and there is no counterclaim from the vendor
> itself that this is "software acting exactly as it is designed," then
> it qualifies for a CVE ID.
>
> This matches what happened for ASUS (the vendor refused to respond at
> all). If another requester does not describe exploitation likelihood
> or asserts that there is essentially no exploitation likelihood, and
> there is no clarification from the vendor, then the request can be
> rejected on the "software acting exactly as it is designed" grounds.
>
> In other words, existence of a CVE ID should depend a little less on
> a comprehensive theory of what a vulnerability is, and depend a
> little more on judgment about whether the ID will help real-life
> organizations with risk management. This requires a little more work
> from the CNA, but makes CVE more useful than with either the 100%
> accept or 100% reject options.
>
> Regards,
>
> The CVE Team

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: June 16, 2016