How do we fix this?

I have been following the coverage discussion and a couple thoughts strike me.

1) We should be looking at ways to have CNAs provide coverage for areas of products that can be managed by a community. This would involve assigning a CNA as a coordinating body within each identified community. This type of approach could allow for greater scalability overall. The CNAs could each handle CVE assignments using assigned blocks of CVEs or a centralized assignment service to get new CVE ids. This would take some load off of MITRE in the assignment process. We would need to think about how to handle dups in this way. If the CNAs/communities can be partitioned well, they can be made responsible for coordination and de-duping within their scope.

2) MITRE should be focused not on the low-hanging fruit of CVE assignment, but on the areas of coverage that no one else is willing to cover. This could have the effect of improving overall coverage.

Is this something that could work?

It would be good to get some conversation going around re-thinking the processes and mechanisms to allow them to scale. It is clear that the current solution does not accomplish that. I also don't see why we need to wait for MITRE to host a meeting to have this conversation.

Sincerely,
Dave

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: March 08, 2016