RE: Regarding CVE assignments on oss-sec mailing list

Can't argue with anything you, Kurt, Pascal, or Art said.  More timely
CVE assignments and responses are needed, and doable.

That said, CVE should never be a roadblock to disclosure, patching, and
security.  We need to be part of the solution instead of creating new
problems.

I'd really like to see us devote more effort to a system that provides CVE
identifiers for ALL vulnerabilities, instead of limiting the scope to just
a small subset of the most popular and widely used software.  Then we'd
only have to worry about out how to expand the CVE customer support
organization to deal with the huge backlog of outstanding CVE identifier
review/approval/consolidation tickets.
(not sure if I'm kidding about CS expansion)

Lack of CVE coverage for 3rd party components is a big, existing problem
for me on a daily basis, so I know it's a problem for many others too.

--
kw

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: December 01, 2015