Re: MS-Word versions of draft Editorial Board governance documents [Was: Two draft Editorial Board governance documents for review and comment]

Here are a few items that are included in the attached doc but I wanted to call them out for the sake of discussion.

Links don’t work but others have stated that.

1. I would like to see the following paragraph replaced with the suggested text.

Organizations are limited to two representatives on the CVE Editorial Board. Each organization is encouraged to have two representatives, an implementer and a liaison, on the Board. Implementers include content team members, vulnerability analysts, security researchers, and incident responders. Liaisons include product managers, product strategists, chief technology officers, and marketing representatives.

Replace with:

In an effort to guard against organizational bias, a single organization may be represented by a maximum of two individuals with the expectation that one individual would be focused on strategic direction and the other individual would be focused more on technical decisions.

2. In the process for adding a new board member I recommend removing the following bulleted item.

A replacement is sought for a departing Board member.

I do not think this is what has been done in the past.  If this is more a Board of contributing individuals, this makes it sound as if we are going back to the same company looking for a body.  I believe the bulleted items previously listed cover the need.

3. 3. In the MITRE Evaluation. The last bullet states: "The prospect, and the prospect's parent organization, approves the level of effort required for the prospects participation.

Will the organization have any say? That should be between the company and the employee? Will MITRE be notifying the organization of the amount of time a person will be required to participate? I don’t think that’s been the case in the past. People can do a massive amount of CVE work (massive is subjective here. ;-)) after hours if need be. Not sure they really need company approval in all cases.

4. The Editorial Board members are allowed at least 2 weeks to provide feedback on a candidate ?  Do we really need to delay it two weeks?  I’d say one is more than enough but that’s just my opinion. I believe people ignore these types of action and the more you delay it, the more they forget to respond.  Maybe if Board members requested additional information, an additional week could be added, but I am not sure we have really had that situation too often in the past.  Personal preference since I tend to forget in my old age. ;)

5. Statement:

To maintain the limit of two representatives per organization on the CVE Editorial Board, if a merger or acquisition results in an organization having more than two individuals on the Board, then the organization must choose which two individuals will remain on the Board.

General comment:

Maybe one could be a non-voting member but able to participate in all other respects.  I REALLY hate kicking off good people due to situations beyond their control…

Kent Landfield
Director, Standards and Technology Policy
Intel
+1.817.637.8026