CVE ID Syntax Vote - results and next steps

All,

Thank you very much for voting!  It may have been 10 years or more since our last formal vote.

We had 18 votes in all, far beyond the simple majority of listed Board members.

For the first choice, the results are:

   Option A - 7
   Option B - 7
   Option C - 4

As noted in our "Procedures and Timeline" email from March 26, item 10 says:

     "At least a simple majority of the votes cast is required for any option to be selected."

For 18 voters, we would need 10 votes for a single option, and obviously that's not the case here.  Option A and Option B are tied.

The only clear decision at this point, is that Option C cannot be selected.  Even among those who voted for Option C as their first choice, their second choices were split - two for Option A, and two for Option B.

We will be in touch with the Board regarding next steps.  It seems reasonable to have a re-vote among the final two options, but given how closely tied A and B are, we may need to clarify procedures to force us to come to a clear and timely decision while preserving the integrity of the process.

As usual, Board members are welcome to share their thoughts with the list.

Thanks,
Steve

P.S. As a side note, during the informal, non-voting, non-binding public feedback phase (which included some Board members), Option A and Option B were also tied, and Option C lagged behind.

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: October 03, 2014