RE: Counting on CVEs

Couple of responses to Dave's points, and one new one for consideration
(that may deserve it's own thread).

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012, Mann, Dave wrote:

: 1) GLOBAL VULNERABILITY REPORTING - In my opinion, one thing that CVE

: global vulnerability reporting problem.  But one thing I'm very sure of
: is that this solution, if it exists, will need to evolve organically by
: knitting together various regional capabilities.

Definitely.

: I think the best thing that we, the CVE community, can do to help
: facilitate the emergence of a global vulnerability reporting capability
: is to be able to speak clearly about what we can and can't do and to try
: to make as many of our lessons learned available to others as possible.

Agreed. I think this will be in the form of announcing what vulnerability
disclosure sources are monitored at the very least. After that, perhaps an
average time it takes to issue an identifier after disclosure.

The other thing to consider is that if the regional entities share exports
of references, it would be considerably easier to do matching. One thing
OSVDB has done for vendors that wanted was to exchange such dumps. We'd
provide a list of OSVDB - CVE - Secunia - BID - XSS cross references, they
would provide a list of CVE - internal_id references. Each side could then
import the other's data set to add a new set of references. OSVDB did this
for example with Tenable for both Nessus and PVS. In a matter of hours,
OSVDB could reference some 5,000 PVS references along with 40,000+ Nessus