Re: Counting on CVEs

Dave (and all),

First, I'd like to suggest that these issues are complex, and require
more than the high-interrupt, delve-in-as-you-can attention that email
can bring. (I've had two people walk into my office as I type this.)
So I think the board should meet in person (unfortunately, we just
missed RSA as an opportunity) or with a monthly call with agendas to
work through some of these questions.  I think that email is too
narrow a mechanism for the issues.

Also, I'd like to respond to one of the things you say below:

> I think the best thing that we, the CVE community, can do to help
> facilitate the emergence of a global vulnerability reporting
> capability is to be able to speak clearly about what we can and
> can't do and to try to make as many of our lessons learned available
> to others as possible

I think we should also talk about the goals and uses that CVE
addresses, and reinforce the value to defenders of having the
concordance functions.  The reason that there's tension is that
there's value, and we should look for ways to make those explicit.

Adam

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 10:07:08PM +0000, Mann, Dave wrote:
> [...]
|
| If people can suggest other better ways to define jurisdictions (or swim lanes) I'm all ears.
|

| 3) CVE COVERAGE - This past fall, we had discussions on the Board list about what sources you all felt were "must-haves" and those you considered "nice-to-haves".  We're processing this internally and are considering what sources we're actually covering, to what extent and how fast.   We hope to present a summary of that in the next little while and I further expect that the summary will highlight some important gaps between our expectations and the realities.  We'll have more to talk about at that point.
|
| In preparation for that discussion, I'll quote the sign that hangs on Steve Christey's office door.  Vulnerability IDs - Pick 2: Good, Fast, Cheap.
|
| We'll need to talk about each of these dimensions more.
|

| 4) EVOLVING THE CVE PROCESS - The CVE ID assignment process has evolved over the past 12 years and will continue to evolve.  Once we gain some clarity on which sources we need to cover, how well we need to cover them and at what we speed, we as a community can discuss what, if any, changes are required of the current CVE production process. I believe that everything can be put on the table for discussion at that point, but we really need to agree on the goals in terms coverage.
|

| 0) STATISTICS - Statistics require stable social categories and stable social categories require stable shared practices.  I'm not going to shock anybody by suggesting that security practices in general, and vulnerability practices in particular are not stable.  In short, our field is too young.
|
| The best book on the subject that I know is "Standards and Their Stories: How Quantifying, Classifying, and Formalizing Practices Shape Everyday Life" by Lampland and Star.  The discussion of how "calendar age" became a standard in everyday life and how the age classification processes of the US census bureau evolved is particularly germane to the question of vulnerability statistics.
|
| I have no idea how to communicate this sort of troubling truth to upper management types but strongly suggest the book to everyone on this list.  You can thank or blame TK when you see him next.  He's the one who suggested it to me.  ;)
|

| -Dave
| David Mann | Principal Infosec Scientist | The MITRE Corporation

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: November 06, 2012