Re: [CVEPRI] Increasing numbers and timeliness of candidates

At 2:41 AM -0400 5/2/02, Steven M. Christey wrote:
>Pascal Meunier said:
>
>>References are nice, but the main goal of the CVE was to give a number
>>to an issue so the issue could be discussed.
>
>Only recently has the topic moved to "how quickly the issue could be
>discussed."  CVE was originally intended to deal with tools, which
>have a much longer development cycle than vulnerability databases and
>notification services.

Then I've been under the wrong impression for several years, since
the workshop on research with *vulnerability databases* where the CVE
was first discussed.  Timeliness was not an issue as long as you were
dealing with legacy candidates (>6 months old).  Now it is, and when
discussing NIST's CVE recommendation you agreed with the statement
that to consider "CVE as a timely and comprehensive service seems
like a reasonable expectation".  Moreover, you have a chicken-egg
problem with regards to reserved candidates.  People will reserve
candidates only if the CVE is perceived as a timely point of
reference and having a CVE number in initial references is desirable.
If the CVE is to be something that identifies soldiers after the
battle has long been over and when counting the dead, it's not nearly
as useful as I was hoping it would be.  Which is it going to be?

(with apologies to Steve and the CVE content team who are working
very hard already -- I sound ungrateful for their Herculean work, but
I need to have this cleared out, and I need to know what I can
reasonably expect from the CVE.  I also wanted to provide public
justification for Steve's efforts to make the CVE more timely, but I
guess it has come out awkwardly more as an attack than the
justification I wanted to provide)

<snip>
>As you and I also discussed in private, I
>would like to get candidates out at least once a month.  That means a
>few days of editing, once a month.  (As I said, I'm doing more
>refinement now, too.)  The 6 week delay for this last batch is
>disappointing because it's 2 weeks overdue, but as you may recall from
>the private emails, there were many reasons for those delays.

What I recall from emails is that you were trying to release them
every two weeks (it's been 3 times the expected delay).  That much
should be possible without "detriment to the broader work that MITRE
is doing with CVE"?

regards,
Pascal
--