Re: [TECH] Numbering Schemes for Legacy Candidates

Thanks Steve.  If it was not for Cassandra, I would be supporting option
1 due to the KISS principle.  However, I like publication-based option
3) best, as long as people understand that it's a "best effort"
unreliable year assignment (to use an analogy, it would be more like UDP
than TCP) and that it will not be changed once assigned (e.g., if a
mistake in the year is discovered later).  Option 3 would be more viable
with a "fill-in" provision:  if 1999 becomes full, then use the
remaining name space in 2000.  Hopefully, 3 will converge into option 1.

If there is opposition to option 3 or if it proves too costly, option 1
with a note saying that it is a legacy candidate ("This is not a new
vulnerability!") would be acceptable.

Pascal