RE: [TECH] Duplicate candidates - which one should be preferred?

Two issues to address:

1. As a matter of convenience and record, I (acting on the behalf of ISS)
have been sending MITRE an encrypted copy of our advisory draft for
candidate assignment for well over a year. I find it much easier and less
error prone than assuming that the issue is new. The entire exchange is
handled in ciphertext, and MITRE destroys all records of the conversation
after it is has completed the assignment.

There is a very real concern at ISS about the 'leaking' of pre-release
material by a third party. Should this occur, I have no doubt that my a$$
would be mighty sore. MITRE provided ISS with an official and military-grade
declaration on what they would and would not do with confidential and
private content, including issues of confidentiality, information handling,
and immediate disposal after candidate assignment.

2. With regards to which candidate to promote, ISS X-Force uses a similar
protocol to select between duplicates. If either issue is linked to a
product or to CVE (i.e., is more "official"), then we promote it. Otherwise,
we promote the first-entered issue. In either case, we sync the references
and information to the promoted issue, and NEVER delete the obsoleted issue.
These guidelines have worked for us more times than I'd like to admit. :-)

--Andre

Andre Frech
X-Force Security Researcher
Internet Security Systems (ISS)
6303 Barfield Road
Atlanta, Georgia 30328-4233

Internet Security Systems -- The Power to Protect