RE: Cybercrime treaty

Isn't there legal precedent defending source code as free speech -
and hence protected by the first amendment?  This sounds like a
no-brainer to me...  Of course, some of the people drafting this sort
of legislation do, on occasion, come across as being brainless.

There needs to be a clear distinction between the distribution of
demonstration code and the distribution or use (with malicious
intent) of exploits.  Because that is a VERY gray area, it might be
better to decide such things on a case-by-case basis.  I liked the
locksmith/burglar analogy (but what of the convicted burglar who
decides to become a locksmith?).  A more accurate analogy, though,
might be a gun.  I can own a gun.  I can even shoot it under certain
conditions.  As soon as I shoot it AT someone else, though, it's a
crime.

- - Jim