DDoS as a VPN Re: [PROPOSAL] DDOS - Distributed DoS (1 candidate)

>Given the preference to avoid overlap within CVE, then is there
>anything fundamentally different about DDOS that warrants a separate
>entry?  For Trinoo-related issues, I say yes, because you aren't
>dealing with arbitrary traffic to broadcast addresses, but directed
>commands to specific addresses.

What they have in common is the use of an amplification mechanism.
They are broadcasting (multicasting) to a (virtual private) network,
which then amplifies the messages.  In both cases, the amplification
is done by the third party victim hosts.  The difference is just that
the network is virtual instead of physical.

Pascal