RE: [CVEPRI] CVE candidate issues - handling new candidates

Just a few initial thoughts,

1)  I think that as the CVE initiative becomes more well-known, i.e., tools
reflect CVE mappings, Security Sites begin to reflect CVEs, as Securityfocus
is doing (search works well by the way!), users will have more knowledge
through exposure.
I would think a brief concise statement along with the CAN # would help,
such as "CVE# pending research and validation" would keep the confusion to a
minimum.

Perhaps each site that reflects CVE-compatability needs to have a blurb on
the CAN/CVE process with a "for more details" link to the MITRE CVE site.

4) Add the CAN# as soon as possible after the public announcement or
possibly implement a procedure where somewhere between the coordination with
the vulnerable software vendor and public announcement, a CAN# is applied.

Still lots of discussion to do and agreement to reach, hopefully some will
come out of next week's telecon.

-mike