Re: PROPOSAL: Cluster 25 - IDS (5 candidates)

I'm really torn by these.  On the one hand, they are clearly flaws of
some type.  On the other hand, IP has lots of design features that
lead to insecurity, and its not clear to me that we should include all
of them (such as IP spoofing as a vulnerability.)  So I lean towords
suggesting a conservative rule.

At the same time, I've been meaning to suggest that use of keys of
less than 80 bits after the publication of the 7 cryptographers paper
should be a CVE vulnerability, use of key escrow, ttp(s), or Clipper
should have its own CVE vulnerability, RC4-40 should have its own
vulnerability, but differential cryptanalysis should not.  The core of
my suggestion was to be that a skilled practitioner could quickly see
problems with the scheme.  This is not a conservative rule.

I think that this demonstrates that the things that I'm a practitioner
in (scanners, crypto), I want liberal rules, and those that I'm not, I
tend towords the conservative.

So, I'll suggest that we consider a meta-rule of "Defer to the
practitioners who work with the issues most closely" for what the rule
should be.  This likely leads to an explosion of CVE entries, but I'm
not comfortable keeping the CVE small for the sake of enabling
familiarity when the practitioners wish to expand an area because it
works better for them to have entries for groups of things.

Adam