Re: Which "Codebases" do these candidates really split into?

This discussion is exactly what I was afraid of when we were discussing
codebases, and I think it will happen again and again.  Codebases are
abstract, ambiguous notions, and the result could be an ambiguous CVE.

Let me throw something in the air and see if it will fly.  We have been
thinking along the lines of "one CVE entry = one vulnerability".   However,
could we represent more than one vulnerability instance by a CVE entry?  We
already have done so with the password CVE entries (Cluster 18 - PASS).  I
think of those as "Exploding" CVE entries.  That is, think of each CVE
entry as a compact notation for unambiguously signifying the existence of
several vulnerabilities, specified with a list of *different instances* of
the same problem.  Could we not use this over all the database?  It may be
understood that each OS, distribution (with version numbers, please!) has a
different vulnerability that fits the observables in the description.

Hence, the  Ping o' Death entry could look like:
Candidate: CAN-1999-0128
Reference: XF:ping-death
Reference: CERT:CA-96.26.ping

Oversized ICMP ping packets can result in a denial of service,
aka Ping o' Death.

Instances:
-Digital Unix 3.0x, 3.2x, 4.0, 4.0a and products based on these
-FreeBSD v prior to 2.1.6
-HPUX 9.x, 10.00-10.20,
-AIX 3.2, 4.1, 4.2
-Linux kernels prior to 2.0.27
-OSF/1 prior to R1.3.3
-SCO OpenServer 5.0.0, 5.0.2
	SCO Internet FastStart 1.0.0, 1.1.0
	SCO Open Desktop 3.0
	SCO TCP/IP 1.2.1 on SCO Unix System V/386 Release 3.2 Version 4.2
-Solaris, unpatched versions prior to 5.51

I think it would be a waste of bits to have a dozen different CVE entries
for this, while the sub-enumeration unambiguously specifies that the
underlying code may be different.
Pascal