RE: Survey: Use of Same Attack/Same Codebase content decision in VDB's

Keep in mind that system vulnerabilities won't show up on a network
intrusion detection system in most cases.  They will show up on host-based
IDS systems either in the event logs when a vulnerability is exploited or
present through static analysis.  Steve N. is correct about the network side
but it's a different story on the host-based side.

False positives are less of an issue on the host-based side because of the
nature of the signatures.  They are not usually "string matches" but
deterministic sequences of events.  I'm not entirely sure what this adds to
the conversation but I wanted to point out the differences before
conclusions were drawn from Steve N's comments alone.

Basically, vulnerabilities are primarily system-based and should be
addressed by system level IDS (in most, not all cases).  Any given
vulnerabilty can be detected by multiple signatures.  For example the
Cybersafe Centrax product has a signature on NT to detect a base-class of
attack exploited by sec-hole and getadmin.  These are different attacks
exploiting the same hole (unauthorized addition of a user to the
administrator's group).  My view is that all three are CVE worthy.  1)
sechole, 2) getadmin, 3) unauthorized addition of a user to the
administrator's group.  1 and 2 are published exploits.  3 is sure to be
used by other attacks in the future.

One of the disconnects between the host-based ID and the CVE is that
vulnerability exploitation is only one aspect of monitoring.  We also
monitor for behavior deviations, trends, and patterns of misuse such as
abuse of privilege.  I've been wondering if the CVE will attempt to address
these or just stick with known vulnerabilities.

Paul

Paul E. Proctor
Senior Scientist
Corporate Technology - Cybersafe Corporation
6363 Greenwich Drive, Suite 150
San Diego, CA 92122
Tel: (Direct) +619-546-2400 x312; Fax: +619-546-0590
Email: paul.proctor@cybersafe.com