From: Russ [mailto:Russ.Cooper@rc.on.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 1999 5:07 PM
To: 'afrech@iss.net'; CVE Review List
Subject: RE: Question about CVE to vendor mappings

I wouldn't be thinking of, e.g., SP4 as a CVE. If you read the readme
files that come with each SP, they list out the individual entries in
the MS Knowledgebase that were addressed by the SP. These are not
duplicated (unless further issues arose with something previously
fixed,
like TCPIP.sys), and would be the closest thing to an individual
vulnerability. So SP4 would incorporate a list of all previous CVE
numbers that previous service packs address, plus, any new ones.

Of course a bigger issue, in the case of MS SPs, is the fact that
there
are quite a few fixes in an SP which are not documented in
public...;-[

Cheers,
Russ - NTBugtraq Editor

FYI...I have not been actively discussing these issues due to a lack
of
time right now. My conference starts tomorrow and, well, I'm still
trying to locate my underwear.