Re: Candidate numbering scheme

Spaf said:

>Why not make every candidate number something like "Temp-99-01" where
>we simply count from the beginning of the year?

This approach would require a central "number assignment" mechanism to
different entities from using duplicate numbers, and could be somewhat
problematic or expensive to implement if the assignment is open to
everybody, not just the input forum.

Gene, are you advocating using the candidate numbering scheme in
public?  And if so, do you believe that temp-99-01 really doesn't have
a chance to become a de facto standard?  I think that the first number
to be referenced could become the one that is most commonly used, even
if it has a "temp" name in it.  However, as long as "highly visible"
players use the CVE name (i.e. database owners, advisory writers,
etc.), then I suppose it becomes less of a problem.