Re: DoD and CVE

A lot of military tech now includes COTS/Open Source. It's not like these companies wrote their own realtime OS and USB drivers...

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:54 AM Pascal Meunier <pmeunier@cerias.purdue.edu> wrote:
DoD is the most legitimate case I can think of for using their own numbering system
instead of CVEs.  They have confidentiality needs beyond what CVE can support, e.g.,
vs nation-state enemies.  What value would CVE IDs have to them, over any other
numbering system providing unique IDs?

I can't reconcile the idea of separate private namespaces that anyone can use however
they like, with the definition of CVE IDs as unique.  They are not CVEs, they're just
numbers.  At best they could be a CNA for whatever they decide to make public, but
then why not use existing CNAs?

Pascal

--
Kurt Seifried
kurt@seifried.org

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: October 12, 2018