Re: new CNA guidelines

On 2017-10-07 21:50, Kurt Seifried wrote:

> https://securitytxt.org/
>
> TL;DR: security.txt for reporting security issues, like robots.txt
> for telling web robots how to behave.

Generally a big fan, there's similar work going on in FIRST, and I plan
to actually talk to the author/developer.

A few thoughts:

> # Our disclosure policy
>
> Disclosure: Full

Not sure that disclosure policies are modular/structured well-enough
yet to work like this.  Also the three options are too gross.  A
suggestion is to provide a pointer to the policy (having and publishing
a policy is a great start).

There are some norms/standards developing around coordinated
vulnerability disclosure.  We primarily ask vendors to do crazy things
like:

1. Develop and publish a policy
2. Have a way to receive reports
3. Analyze and fix/publish

CNAs should be held to the same standard.

Note: #1 says to have and publish a policy, not what the policy says.
CVE the boundary of disclosure, CVE shouldn't bother itself too much
with disclosure politics.

> This would make it much easier for people to discover how to report
> things (99% of the time you can plug a product name in and get the
> web page no problem, then the problem becomes finding the contact
> details for reporting your security vulnerability).
>
> This is a very nice KISS solution, it requires minimal to no
> maintenance (most places do not change the web page for their PGP key
> to often, or the reporting email address, with the exception for
> corporate mergers/divestitures).
It should work great for web site reporting (I think the location on a
site is /security.txt, or /.well-known/security.txt).  A little less
clear for product vulnerabilities (I might know I need to talk to Red
Hat, but what web site holds the correct security.txt for Digital Alert
Systems?

The FIRST work focuses on the content and format but stops short of
recommending a single/specific location for the contact information.

 - Art

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: October 09, 2017