Re: CVEs with no REF URL (or a REF URL that is self referential)

On 2017-10-05 07:01 AM, Art Manion wrote:
> On 2017-10-04 17:54, Kurt Seifried wrote:
>
>> The embargo often is set for a time and the commits/vendor
>> announcements/etc all take time. Rather then wait and check and
>> update the CVE entry with the ref URL it would be much easier just to
>> fire off the CVE that is self contained to the database so there is
>> something nearly immediately in the database (we're finding this
>> helps a lot with the higher profile messy issues).
>
> Ah OK.  I've been operating under the impression that the delay
> you're talking about was too small to matter, probably hours, less
> than half a day.  I consider same-day CVE ID to be fast enough, maybe
> < 6 hours for hot issues.
>
>  - Art

TBH it's less about the delay and more about automation. If I can
cronjob shoving the CVE into the database, and then later update it (or
anyone else can) handling embargoed CVE's becomes cheaper (essentially I
would assign, set the date, and like the Ronco Rotisserie "Set it and
forget it!" [assuming the embargo date doesn't change]). Especially for
the common case where people want the CVE prior to the git commit, if
that can be mostly automated that'd be awesome.

PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993
Red Hat Product Security contact: secalert@redhat.com

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: October 09, 2017