Generally speaking I apply the above matrix for services and whether or not they need a CVE (so in most cases we deal with this by ensuring that the services run on localhost only/are firewalled, well documented, and so on).

And obviously the easy case:

5) if there is a specific flaw that can be exploited, then a CVE

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Coffin, Chris <ccoffin@mitre.org> wrote:
> I don't see #23 as anything different than "device runs a web server."

True. But another side is that "device runs a web server" could and should be handled differently based on whether it's standard system with an OS vs. a closed appliance. In other words, a "Linux system running Apache" probably wouldn't ever get a CVE as it's more like a config issue, but in this case it would since it's an undocumented web server on a modem. At the very least it's an exposure I think.

Even if we were to decide against assigning these in the future, I'd say it's still important to alert folks to these kinds of issues. Does anyone disagree?

Chris