Re: Qualcom (and other) Android CVE IDs

Those entries are certainly vague and I wish they had more details, but
they absolutely are worth having.  I would suggest not making "Impact"
required.  The CVE's fundamental mission is to uniquely identify
vulnerabilities.  I don't like, but am willing to accept, entries that
are so poor in information that only some people can uniquely identify a
vulnerability based on it, on an optimistic basis that these people are
trustworthy in this regard.  Obviously this is far from the ideal case,
and for CVEs to be academically useful much more information is needed,
but it's better than nothing.

What concerns me the most is that nobody could differentiate between 2
CVE entries.  This has happened for example when an entry contains
something like this in the description: "but different from CVE-...".
If you need to specify that, it's a strong indication that your entries
are much too vague right from the start.  I think there should be a
commitment from sources to provide enough information, or a refusal from
CNAs, so that this turn of phrase is never needed.

Pascal

On Tue, 2017-06-06 at 18:34 -0600, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> One comment: are we going to make IMPACT a required field at some
> point?
> I'm wondering if CVEs such as:
>
> http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=unspecified+impact+via+
> unknown+vectors+apple
>
> are worth having? There's no mention of the CVE in the github repo
> for the
> software:
>
> https://github.com/nghttp2/nghttp2/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=CVE-2017-2428&type=
>
> There's nothing much in the Apple release notes:
>
> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT207615
>
> Impact: A malicious HTTP/2 server may be able to cause undefined
> behavior

> were
> addressed by updating nghttp2 to version 1.17.0.
>

> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Beverly Finch
> <beverlyfinch@lenovo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I suppose one of the charts in the deck we reviewed in the past few
> > weeks
> > addresses this problem where number of CVEs is reserved but not
> > 'published.'
> > If Qualcomm (and others) are publishing the CVEs without submitting
> > the
> > descriptions back to Mitre, shouldn't someone be reaching out to
> > them to
> > 'remind' them of the process?
> > Or would this be a full time job for someone?
> >

> > Regards,
> >

> > Beverly M Finch, PMP
> > PSIRT Program Manager
> > Product Security Office
> >
> > 7001 Development Drive
> > Office 3N-C1
> > Morrisville, NC  27560
> >
> > +1 919 294 5873
> > beverlyfinch@lenovo.com
> >

> > Lenovo.com
> > Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Blogs | Forums

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: June 14, 2017